Saturday, February 9, 2013

A Female Key Puncher

I went to my first "Women in Computer Science" club this past Wednesday. I wish I had gone to one earlier in my past school years. I never went because I felt like it was not necessary, and I would not have very much to talk about with the other girls in the program. I should not have assumed so quickly. The girls were kind and fun. I could relate with them. We had conversations that were intellectual, casual, and fun. In addition to attending this club, I read several articles on women and computer science. Several of the articles mentioned that few women study computer science because of their lack of confidence in the subject. I can understand why this is a reason. I started out in the major with very little confidence in myself. If it had not been for supportive friends and family, I may not have made it this far in the program. I only wish that I had searched for women in my field of study with which to relate and study. That would have affected my life more positively in the area of confidence and easiness. If schools pushed that women who were curious about computer science met and got to know the other women in that field, the enrollment in the program might improve. This may not be the major solution to why few women study computer science, but I see it as a possible solution to boosting the confidence of women and letting them know that they are not alone in this major.

3 comments:

  1. The poor ratio of men to women in CS still boggles my mind. Hopefully clubs like Women in CS can help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your thoughts on why there are so few women in CS. Confidence is an important thing to have and perhaps with proper support more women would feel comfortable in CS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I don't know if I've met another girl who hasn't struggled with this. This is exactly what has been the biggest stunt to my growth is my own lack of confidence. And I've seen this same thing from every other girl I have talked with in the field. I love that you felt that about the WiCS club, this is exactly it's purpose - to create those connections that help as we go through the program.

    ReplyDelete